Tuesday 29 September 2009

"The World and His Wife" and Jazz withdrawal symptoms

As days in the CDG building go, last Thursday was one of the best, if not the most productive!

Having gone through fourteen years of education, I was forced to watch all the work I did disappear; either into the bin or into some sleepy file somewhere, never to be seen again. Not this time, though! The FAQ that myself and Rokeya wrote will actually be getting put to good use, on the Room2Heal website! (www.rth.org.uk)

In other news, I am attempting to author a series of novels called the "Life of Freefall" series. Basically an attempt to put my philosophy/extreme views in some form of applicable writing. My weapon for my attack on modern and traditional stereotypes! I have given my prologue and first chapter to a few people (including Jess) for scrutiny and review.
One controversy that came up in the prologue is my attempt to describe the political relationship between the USA and the UK, using the analogy of a traditional (think before 1900's) marriage. Initially I was ruthless, describing the relationship between the husband and wife as akin to that of a master and slave, but I had to edit that to "avoid alienating half my readers", in my mother's words. In the end I rewrote it to say that it is more to do with the social image that needs to be reinforced, and that the female almost always does harbor dissatisfaction to the traditional "role" expected from a wife; as well she should! I'm glad I did; I love the "world and his wife" analogy; and there is a real point to be made in relation to the UK/USA partnership. Anyway, I will post further news as it comes relating to this topic.

Finally, news from the musical front. I have always loved jazz music above any other type, and, other than the Corrs, will always prioritise it for listening. Anyway, I hadn't been listening to it as much recently, and I noticed I had become a lot more irritable and prone to succumbing to sloth. However, I went to see my favourite amateur jazz group; the Laurie Morgan Trio, last Sunday, and all my troubles went out of the window. Thus I resume my ambition to train as a jazz drummer; for the sake of my sanity! I've contacted a couple of people to coach/teach me; for example, the great Laurie Morgan himself!

As they say, things can only get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment